Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fear and yet still 1000 gifts...

I sat on the phone as the receptionist for the pediatric dentist confirmed our youngests appointment for the first day of December.   

"so just to confirm what we will be doing- 2 silver fillings, 2 white fillings, 4 crowns, he will be needing nerve work done on his four front teeth, x-rays and a cleaning.  You will need to bring him after 7am and hand him over to us, you cannot be in the room with him when we put him under and do the dental work.  Any questions?"

ummm...yes!!   I know God has not given me a spirit of fear but my wee baby (well my 32 pound toddler) is going to have to be sedated and then have massive dental work!  Its not that we were bad parents and didn't brush his teeth, but I guess two years of straight eating around the clock (he nursed like a newborn for that long!) and not being able to brush his molars the best due to him fighting us tooth and nail had something to do with it.

Oh all these what ifs!  What if I just got up and brushed his teeth after he breastfed every hour?  What if I tried a little harder to brush his teeth for the full two minutes?  What if we flat out refused to give him anything with sugar? 

How is he going to feel when he has to go in with these complete strangers?  When they have to make him sleep.  Im sorry, but the thought of it just makes me think he's going to be terrified!  Will he remember?  I know Im going to be a mess if I dont keep my eyes on Jesus the whole time.  And thats just what I havent been doing in this very well.  I know that God over and over again tells us to not be afraid (I believe its over 300 times in the Bible isnt it?) and yet here I sit, knowing my family has God on our side, that God will be with my son during the procedure, the doctors and nurses and staff, with my other children and my husband and I.   But its so funny how we forget God or dont even want to reach out to God in our times of trouble isnt it? 


Isaiah 40:10~ Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.


1 Peter 5:7 ~ Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Romans 8:15 ~So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”


I ask for those reading this for your prayers, that God would cast out all the anxiety and fears I have for this day coming up this week, that He would comfort our son Zayden as he goes into surgury, to be with the doctors and nurses and staff and to just cover them all in His love.  That things would go well and that recovery would be quick.  
And through the upcoming week will be a bit different, I continue to count my 1000 gifts


301-  Zayden wiping his nose on a sweater in a store...so embarrasing, but made everyone laugh)
302-  preparing for Advent - anticipating the coming of Christ
303-  children decorating the Chirstmas tree
304-  new ice skates for an upcoming frozen season
305-  the kids Christmas shopping done!
306-  salt, cornstartch and water all mixed up and ornaments created
307-  the fact that my son CAN have his teeth repared, blessed to live in a country that can also help us pay for the procedure.
308-  ice blue snowflakes
309-  making a cab driver smile
310-  witnessing God work and move in friends and family
311-  Kids decorating the grandparents Christmas tree.  About six bulbs per branch!
312-  blessed with a violin,  time to learn, so excited!
313-  popcorn, icecream and Veggie Tales
314-  my husband all full of laughter and joy. 
315-  early Christmas gifts
316-  children finishing a Nativity scene for our home



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. Bless your Mama heart! I have to admit I'd be fearful, too. But praying that you and your sweet baby will both be just fine and at peace about this.

    Lovely gratitude list, too, by the way.
    (Popping over from Ann's "Multitudes on Monday.")

    ReplyDelete