Friday, May 4, 2012

Spontaneous Sunday Morning Baptism.

Sunday April 22/2012 my husband Dylan and I woke up to a fevered three yr old. I was to teach the young kids at church so I needed to be there so my husband stayed home... For the first time I think in a long time ( has he ever missed a service since following Christ?) I got to the Sanctuary Church on Kipps Lane, set up, chatted with some friends, went to the meeting then headed back to the kids room. Shortly afterwards our pastors wife tells me to run as fast as I can to catch up with her husband (Pastor Jamie) outside. I go (I waddle my prengnat body across the parking lot as fast as I can!), and Pastor Jamie and some other guys from our church were in the car and they told me to get in.  I had no idea what was going on.  "Your husband just texted me and said he was reading the word this morning and God told him he wont advance in his walk with Him if he doesnt get baptized."  Says our pastor.  I got so excited.  I almost swore in my pastors vehicle... I was in shock.  My husband had talked about being baptized a few times but "wasnt quite there yet."  He's been chasing after Jesus for about a year now, diving right in, its been awesome to watch. I wish he could tell you this in his own words, perhaps someday he will.  I would just have loved to be in his mind as he sat there that morning reading scripture.  To be in that moment where things shifted.  I love Jesus.  Dylan thought hard about being baptized in Rwanda when they were to go, but it had been postponed now till November.  Our next baptism service isnt until next month.  He was told to "fill his tub".  What I love about our church family was there was no need to wait for a month, if God wanted it done, and Dylan wanted it done, it was getting done by golly if it  meant a 6 foot 2 man was being baptized in our little tub down the street a half hour before service.  It reminded me of in Acts 8 where Philip was with the Eunuch who just heard the good news of Jesus-

(26) As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

(I get so excited just thinking about that moment too!)

We all squeeze into our tiny bathroom (and oh how thankful I was that I cleaned it the night before.)  I was so excited all I could do was giggle. 

With our dear friend Mike in the tub with him, our Pastor, our two older children and I squeezing in, Joel in the hallway, and Nick standing bravley on our toilet to film, my husband was baptized. 



No comments:

Post a Comment