Friday, June 22, 2012

The Wedding at Cana- Embracing Jesus John 2:1-12

 

The next day there was a wedding celebration in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,  and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration.  The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus’ mother told him, “They have no more wine.”
Dear woman, that’s not our problem,” Jesus replied. My time has not yet come.”
But his mother told the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
 Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told the servants, Fill the jars with water.” When the jars had been filled,  he said, Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.” So the servants followed his instructions.
 When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. “A host always serves the best wine first,” he said. “Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!”
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him.   After the wedding he went to Capernaum for a few days with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples.


I once was told about the ceremonial washing stone water jars that were at this wedding and their importance.  Those jars were not just for watering cattle and rinsing your hands. They had significance.  They had purpose for that wedding.  It doesnt state in scripture all we know is that they were important.  One idea is that they were used for a mikvah bath, which is for the bride to be, to wash and purify herself before she is wed.  These wash basins had significance.  It baffles my mind to think too that this was a very daring and rebellious act towards the religious beliefs around Him.  That people around Him who may had seen, or atleast the servants might have found it, dare I say, bold for Jesus to even sugest they be used for another purpose.  Already trampling on the religious law in a sense, showing where the real law is.

Jesus also tells His mother His time had not yet come.  Does this reflect John 13?  Does this reflect His awareness of His time coming and Him washing His diciples feet?  His bride?  I always looked at it as Jesus' and His mom just having an arguement. "Mooom stop nagging me to do fancy things, its so annoying.  You're embrarassing me". (Could you imagine!)  Im not so sure anymore...

Oh I love how we can look at a scriputre deeply and see things we had never seen before.  I dont think there was ever a time that Jesus said anything that was not significant.  There is not one red letter that cannot speak to the reader.  He speaks importance.  He speaks that He is the importance.

But this much I do know, He wants to cleans us and make us pure.  He wants His church clean.  He is constantly washing and refining us all.  I can pin point times in my walk where I have been cleansed from things.  He has made parts of my life that have been impure and made them pure.  Not on my own effort, but on His effort and stirring inside me to go through a process that has made that part of me okay.  There are lots of areas of my life that He is doing this too now.  Its a journey, a process that He takes part in and wants to help me with.  I can utter a thankyou, but what more can I say?  I just want to know Him better each moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment