Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Some of my "crunchy, green, local, upcycled and so on " favorite things.

I wanted to share with you all some of my favorite things.  Some I consider green products because of the way they are made (natural ingredients, upcycled, recycled, reuseable), some because of the fact that they are made local (London Ontario Canada), some because they are a more natural way of doing things.  These are all products I use and love, I am in no way being paid by these companies to use their products or to rave about them. This is just from the heart, good old braggin about the stuff I like :)


Kleen Kanteen-  I purchased a few of these a few years ago and our family really loves them.  They are a safe alternative to plastic and you can even get sippy cup attachements for them to let your younger children use them as well.  We take them everywhere.  They have a few more styles now too I see, insulated, and even one that is made completly of steel and bamboo, so absolutly no plastic!





Batty's Bath-  Im big on local buying.  And this gal has got the most yummy awesome natural, vegan, cruelty free bath and body products I have ever seen.  I had a home party here with her products and I must say I am so impressed. I have been itching to get to the market to get some more from her, but hubby says I have to use all of it up first before I go get more (party pooper eh!).  And its afforable too, which is right up my ally!!  It all smells soooo good and it all does what its supposed to do! She has a lot of different soaps- hemp, shea butter, olive oil, goats milk,  she has body butters, lip balms, deodorants, shampoos and conditioners, bubble baths, perfumes, body polishes and scrubs, even facial primer!! 






Spire Jewels- There is a wonderful inspiring woman here in London Ontario who has got a real talent of turning antique buttons into beautiful rings and earrings.  She makes amazing bracelets, and necklaces as well. And all of the proceeds go towards missions and projects in Rwanda.  She is starting to do home parties and you can also purchase Spire Jewels at Mesh in downtown London. I have a few peices, two rings and a really sweet bracelet (seen in picture), and have been saving my money to get some more!  A lady can never have enough jewlery I think.  :) 


  Ruby Dreamz-  A dear friend of mine started making these beautiful blankets. Again local, she creates the most sweetest cuddly blankets for her customers and they are always top notch quality. 
She does knot blankets, rag quilts and recieving blankets that are even big enough to swaddle larger babies.  They are warm, comfortable and beautiful.  They are also blankets worthy enough of passing down generation to generation.  Just like the mamma who makes them, they warm your heart!  


Diva Cup -  I dont know why more women dont use these. They are just awesome.  Okay dudes, plug your eyes, but the Diva Cup is a menstrual alternative to tampons and pads.  It is the only menstrual cup available in Canada by Health Canada. Its made of silicone, and is considered to be a "green" product because it is reusable, unlike tampons and pads that must be discarded and are not reuseable.  While it may sound gross to some people, while it may take a cycle or two to get really used to the whole process, I think in the end I would rather use one than have to use a pad, or use a tampon that can leave behind fibers and peices inside you after removing it (that cant be good right?)  Many women and thats me included, really feel it makes that time of the month much more enjoyable, in my opinion I sometimes even forget I have it.  Just a wonderful wonderful little thing it is.  :)


Hemp Seeds-  Okay a seed is a seed, but the word HEMP does seem a little green dont cha think ;) The benefits from eating hemp seeds is amazing. I got introduced to them about 4 years ago and they have been a staple in my house ever since.  Eating them isnt going to make you high LOL.Hemp seeds contain all the essential fatty and essential necessary to maintain a healthy life.  And it is the easiest digestible form of these acids.   Loaded with protein (16.5 grams per 50g serving thats a little over four table spoons), the list of what these little seeds has in them is outstanding.  They have a nutty taste.  we add them to our smoothies each morning and the smoothy fills us right up. 


Vibram FiveFingers - So I love to run barefoot.  However, I have always wanted a pair of Vibram FiveFingers and this year my hubby decided it was time he spoil me a little in the barefoot department and I picked up a pair of them for my barefoot running journeys.  I usually run on pavement, or on the bike trails, and I have hurt my toes only once by scraping them while tripping over my dog who decided to switch sides of me suddenly. LOL.  However, I have had close calls with glass on the sidewalks in our neighbourhood so I have been wanting some protection annnd  I  am a bit of a wimp when my feet are cold so I really am just loving having a pair of them. They still allow me to run barefoot style, but give my feet the protection I was desiring and keep my feet warmer on these cooler days.  And running without sneakers, and going barefoot, or using the Vibrams lets your body run NATURALLY! I picked up a pair of the Komodo style ones.  And they are lovley.  Just lovley. 




Oil of Oregano-  Ahhhh Oil of Oregano, how do I love you, let me count the ways.  Well, the one thing I love it for is that it is the first thing I have ever used that has actually healed and subdued my horrible canker sores I get.  I have tried everything there is, and this was the first and only product I have used that has healed them and helped with the pain, not just for a half hour, but until the canker sore is gone!  The stuff that oil of oregano can do is amazing.  We use it a lot in our home from acne, to flu, from headaches and dandruff.  Its just a doctor in a bottle really :)



Babywearing-  Babywearing has got to go on this list.  And since I am sharing my favorite products, I have to share with you a local mammas company Natural Mother Productions.  We were gifted ours and it is a great carrier!!!  Babywearing is a natural way of carrying your child and being able to be hands free.  Your child has a better view of whats going on around them when they are at that curious age, also you can breastfeed on the go (which we love to do still) and have snuggles even while in the grocery store.  And who can say no to that?! Seriously!  :)
And there are so many different types of babywearing carriers on the market- Ringslings, pouches, wraps, mei tais, pods, structured carriers, one for every parents preference.  And you can even make your own







1 comment: